The Calgary Allied Arts Foundation (CAAF) has a long and distinguished history in the Calgary Arts community. In partnership with the City of Calgary, CAAF’s vision is to promote Calgary as a leading visual arts centre.
Our mission is to promote the visual arts throughout Alberta – most directly in Calgary. We do this though the direct support of artists and the creation and promotion of exhibitions and events which give the general public access to the work of these artists.
CAAF is a not-for-profit organization which has maintained a strong voice for the promotion of Arts and Culture in Alberta for many decades. CAAF was, for many years, responsible for the stewardship of the Civic Art Collection, the development and implementation of policies and procedures, and advising the City on matters related to the visual arts. (Civic Art Policy approved by City Council, June 10, 1996)
For many years, CAAF has purchased works from local artists and donated these to the Civic Art Collection and this practice continues today. CAAF also continues to maintain an artist residency program designed to assist emerging visual artists in advancing their careers and obtaining exhibition opportunities.
Job Opportunity: Arts Administrator
Calgary Allied Arts Foundation is seeking a part-time Administrator to join our team. While the position is part-time, the CAAF Administrator plays a vital role in the success of our organization. The Arts Administrator is the face of the CAAF to our artist residents, our community investor stakeholders, and the public. The position has variable hours, approximately 8-15 hours per month. Most work can be done remotely or in our shared office space in Community Wise. The Administrator will also need to be available to travel to Gallery 505 in downtown Calgary and cSpace. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Administrator’s primary responsibilities include promoting the society through the website and social media pages, co-ordinating the CAAF Residency Program and Gallery 505, and supporting grant writing and follow-up with granting bodies. Compensation is $22/hour.
· Update website and social media accounts, create monthly or bi-monthly newsletter for members
· Attend board meetings, record minutes and assist with preparing meeting materials
· Coordinate the Gallery 505 space: accept art delivery, assist in installation and striking exhibitions in Gallery 505 space. Work with the programming committee.
· Coordinator for the CAAF Residency Program:
· Update submission guidelines and contracts when needed
· Work with the Residency Committee to organize submissions, and inform applicants of results
· Be the main contact for the cSpace community
· Be a primary contact for artists in the residency space and ensure their placement and exit from the studio is run smoothly
· Organize, promote, and help host Open Studio events in consultation with artists and the Residency Committee
· Coordinate the Annual General Meeting
· Work with the Treasurer in assisting on bookkeeping where needed
· Work with the Gallery 505 committee to organize quarterly opening receptions and promote shows in the space
· Assist in grant research and writing
Skills + Experience:
· Experience working in arts administration or non-profits is considered an asset
· Ability to self-start and work independently
· Art installation and striking experience strongly preferred
· Excellent written communication skills for promotional materials and supporting grant writing
· Knowledgeable about local art and culture events and organizations
· Experience with WordPress is considered an asset
· Bookkeeping experience is an asset but not required
· Flexible working schedule, daytime availability is needed occasionally for art installation and delivery and in coordinating residents into cSpace. Board meetings are one evening per month, 9 times per year.
To Apply: Interested applicants should email a cover letter and resume attention to: Tricia Leadbeater, President, Calgary Allied Arts Foundation firstname.lastname@example.org
Resumes will be accepted until August 11, 2017 at 4:30pm.
Starting date will be early September.