The CAAF Residency is a program offered by the Calgary Allied Art Foundation (CAAF) – a non-profit organization that supports and encourages the development of art and culture in Calgary. The residency program was developed to offer studio space to emerging artists in 1-3 month durations.
The studio is located in the Cannery Row building amid two other studio collectives, 4Five and UAS, offering ample opportunity for networking with other artists. During your residency, there may also be opportunities for exhibition and open studio hours. All artists selected for the CAAF Residency are expected to undertake this opportunity professionally, respecting the studio space and their neighbours while acting as a representative of CAAF.
Applications are accepted from current residents of Canada, however, we are unable to supply travel stipends or grant assistance for out of town artists. A fee of $750/month is paid to artists upon completion of the Residency and the deadline for applications is October 23, 2016.
Residency applications should include:
- Project proposal – please describe in detail the project you will be working on and the duration of residency you are applying for (1, 2 or 3 months). Please also state periods of preference or unavailability from February 2017 – January 2018. Please note the residency program does not operate from June – August.
- CV: maximum of 3 pages, describe your artistic background (e.g., education, grants, scholarships or awards received, previous exhibitions or performances, commissions, professional memberships, etc.).
- 10 to 15 digital images of previous work. Images should be saved as high resolution jpeg files with a file size no larger than 1024 x 768 DPI or 2mb
- A corresponding image list indicating artist’s name, title of work, media and date of completion.
- Applications should be saved as PDF format and e-mailed to the residency committee at email@example.com.
#503 319 – 10 Avenue SW
- Size: 350 square feet
- Walls: 3 white drywall, one brick
- Ceilings: 10 feet
- Floors: maple hardwood
- Lighting: 2 overhead fluorescents
- Security: we provide you with keys and proxy card – 24 / 7 access
- Elevator: building has a loading dock and industrial elevators
CAAF Residency @ 4Five was created to offer artists a larger working space for a longer time period. Although not as visually accessible to the public, it provides residents an excellent opportunity to make contact with other working artists as well as allowing the option for exhibition openings. Residencies in the space are offered for one-month, two-month, and three-month periods.